TruVeg International Vegan Cuisine in Eugene, Oregon

I love that feeling I get when I happenstance on something wonderful when or where I least expect it. Like that time I found a crisp twenty-dollar bill in the back pocket of some jeans before I did the wash.

TruVeg Eugene, Oregon - Luminous Vegans

Or that time we were driving around Eugene exhausted from searching for a place to live and found a vegan food truck tucked into the parking lot of an auto mechanic shop. The owners of the TruVeg International Vegan Cuisine were some of the nicest folks I have ever met. Even though we were outside on a drizzly, cold day I felt like I was being warmly welcomed into someone’s home.

TruVeg-Eugene-Oregon-0964-2

The menu is 100% vegan and they also offer many raw dishes. I ordered the Bi Bim Bap which was sautéed carrot, onion, mushroom, spinach, and spring onion served over brown rice with their own spicy kochujung sauce.

TruVeg-Eugene-Oregon-0974-3

I had never had a Bi Bim Bap prior to this so I didn’t know what to expect. But I fell hard and fast for this dish. The combination and ratio of well cooked veggies was perfect and there was plenty of their spicy, flavorful sauce to coat every single bite. Shortly after this meal we drove up to Salem, Oregon and every twenty minutes or so I blurted out — gosh, my lunch was soooo good…I can’t stop thinking about it. That’s how delicious it was.

TruVeg-Eugene-Oregon-0982-4

Neal ordered the Singapore Noodles which was mung bean noodles with sautéed onion, carrot, mushrooms, spinach and spring onion seasoned with their special curry spice blend. While full of flavor and very delicious, it didn’t compare to my preciousss Bi Bim Bap bowl. Or perhaps I just wasn’t in a curry mood.

TruVeg Eugene, Oregon - Luminous Vegans

What I like about TruVeg, aside from the insanely delicious and filling meal I got from them, is their commitment to caring about people, animals and the environment. All their containers, bags and eating utensils were completely compostable.

TruVeg Eugene, Oregon - Luminous Vegans

What’s more is that when I talked to the owners they mentioned wanting to have a brick and mortar location. And it looks like that is slated to happen in January of 2014! It doesn’t matter to me if they are in a truck or in a building. I definitely plan to go back for the Bi Bam Bap bowl and to try other things on the menu.

Have you ever had a Bi Bam Bap bowl? What is your favorite vegan food truck?

20 thoughts on “TruVeg International Vegan Cuisine in Eugene, Oregon

1. roughseasinthemed

I ooze jealousy every time I read about the choice American vegans seem to have not just for eating out but also for ordering and buying vegan products. Must make life so much easier. I know good places to eat aren’t everywhere but it is encouraging that there do seem to be so many vegan food places – of whatever type. Let’s hope their move to the YMCA works for them.

You’re right and I definitely take it for granted that we have so many options. On our cross country move, we were even able to find some pretty great vegan eats on the road. Except for the middle of Texas near Odessa…that place was just barren oil-field land :-(

I love me some bi bim bap! Don’t you just love those meals that are so amazing that you can’t stop thinking/talking about them afterwards??

I think if I had been faced with that menu with no outside knowledge, I would have chosen the Curry Bowl, but your bowl looks so delicious that I’d definitely go with that :)

I can’t wait for them to reopen in January so I can eat there again. I’d love to be able to recreate my own version of their bi bim bap at home. And yes, lingering meals are the best!

Wow, your bi bim bap bowl looks amazing! I love it when you have a meal that lingers in your thoughts for hours, days, or weeks afterwards. It’s a true sign of a great meal! I see that you also had it with my favorite coconut water. It’s the only brand that I’ve tried that I think actually tastes the same way that coconut water does straight out of the coconut.

Lingering meals are the best for sure! It is so funny that you mention that coconut water because I actually don’t drink it often. But I do enjoy it! The one I got had aloe in it though, which I didn’t really like that much. I prefer it just plain.

The first time I ordered bi bim bap it unexpectedly came with an oozing egg on top, and freaked me out a little. The next time it was vegan, but extremely sweet. I think I need to come to Eugene and order it from TruVeg, or make it myself. Your bowl looks fantastic. The noodle bowl looks amazing, too. I might have to order one to eat, and one to take for later! (We actually did that at the Homegrown Smoker food truck in Portland.)

I can totally understand why you got stuff to take home for later at Homegrown Smoker. That place is soooo delicious! I’ll have to keep this in mind when visiting a place that I don’t frequent often. I think the meals at TruVegn would reheat up wonderfully!

You should start a vegan eatery in Alaska with all your yummy foods!! I am so fascinated with Alaskan life and living. I actually have contemplated moving there one day but the lack of vegan options scares me a little.

Hi Becky! This is obviously late due to moving and traveling shenanigans but yeah, we are in Eugene! It reminds me a little of Asheville mixed with Boulder CO. I’m sure as we settle in and learn more about the city my description of it will evolve.

5. Kylie @ FotV

I’ve never had Bi Bim Bap before, it looks amazing, but I was eyeing that Curry Bowl on the menu :)

My favorite vegan food truck was Seabirds, they opened a restaurant earlier this year and did away with the truck though. Sadly, it’s a long drive from where I live so I don’t get to indulge in their AMAZING avocado tacos as often.

Um, avocado tacos sound AMAZING! I think successful food trucks often make the move to restaurant. I’m not sure which I would prefer more if I were an owner…each seems to have it’s benefits. Next time you are able to visit Seabird you should get double orders to take home since its a haul. Andrea mentioned doing this for a food truck she visits and I may try this little trick for places that we don’t frequent often.

6. chow vegan

Awesome find! Stumbling upon unexpected vegan food is the best, especially if said food looks like that. :-) Sad to say I don’t think I’ve ever tried bi bim bap before but it sure looks good.

The only time I ever heard or saw a bi bim bap was in the last year or so when a friend ordered one (not vegan). It had egg on it so I just assumed it was something that I would never eat. I was so happy to find TruVeg’s vegan version!

Yes, we finally made it and are settling in slowly. It’s been a non-stop train of moving and traveling stuff. We’re still trying to figure out our new routines here while also trying to explore what Eugene has to offer. I would LOVE to meet up if you’re ever in Eugene! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

The bowl from TruVeg wasn’t crispy anywhere as far as I remember but crispy sounds really good! I love crispy edges to dishes like lasagna or casserole. It adds nice contrasting texture.