Apples with Roasted Beet Tartare, Cashew Cheese and Candied Walnuts

Deconstructed Apple and Beet Salad with Cashew Cheese and Candied Walnuts - Luminous Vegans

When I heard that this month’s Virtual Vegan Potluck featured ingredient was beets. I went against every instinct I had and signed up to bring an appetizer that uses beets. I don’t eat beets often. I don’t cook beets. And I rarely make appetizers. What can I say. I like a challenge.

But I do enjoy eating beets. That has to count for something right? My experience with beets growing up is all canned. So this month was the month of learning how to cook beets. Not to mention learning how to handle beet “blood”. Oh yeah, when dealing with beets….there will be beet “blood”. Just imagine Daniel Day Lewis saying that.

What I’ve learned is that beets don’t need a lot of finessing. They have a great rich and earthy taste on their own. I’ve also learned to use parchment paper when cutting beets. Because beet blood on a wood cutting board is a nightmare. But beet stained hands aren’t that bad. Sure, I could use gloves. But having beet stained hands is somewhat satisfying to me.

This appetizer is a deconstructed beet and apple salad (without the salad-y part). Fresh, tart slices of granny smith apples are topped with creamy cashew cheese and roasted beets coated with a sweet lemon dressing. It’s all sprinkled with crunchy, candied walnuts and chopped chives.

All the goodies are on one end of the apple slice. The other end is for holdin’. I like to eat it all in one bite so all the flavors and contrasting textures meld together. But making it a two-bite deal works also.

Even though there are multiple components to this app, it came together easily because I made the components in advance. So all I had to do was assemble it before you guys came over. It can be served cold or at room temp (my preference).

Deconstructed Apple and Beet Salad

Adapted from Martha Stewart. Makes about 25-30 apple slices.

Ingredients

• 2 medium beets, roasted and peeled (I used this method)
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 1 tbs maple syrup (for walnuts) + 1 1/2 tbs maple syrup (for beets)
  • 1/2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tbs lemon juice + extra for dipping apple slices
  • 2 granny smith apples
  • 1 cup cashew cheese
  • handful of chives, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper

Directions

Toss the walnuts with the 1 tbs of maple syrup, brown sugar and pinch of salt. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven at 400F for 5 minutes (I did this when I roasted the beets to save oven power). Take them out and give them a shake and put in for another 4-5 minutes. Let them cool and then store in an air tight container if not using it right away.

Cut the roasted beets into small cubes and put in a mixing bowl. Make the beet dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice and the 1 1/2 tbs of maple syrup together. I put it all in a little jar and shake it up. Coat the beet cubes with about HALF of the sweet lemon dressing. Save the other half for drizzling over the finished serving plate.

Slice the apples into pieces that are about 1/4 inch thick. Then cut those slices in half so you have bite-size pieces as shown. Dip both sides of the apple pieces in a small bowl of lemon juice mixed with a little water to prevent them from browning.

Now it’s time to assemble. I put about 1/2 tbs of cashew cheese on the end of each apple piece, followed by some beet cubes and then a sprinkling of crushed candied walnuts and chives. When plating, drizzle more of the dressing on top.

I was worried that the beet juices would drip everywhere making this a nightmarish appetizer. But the juices just kinda settled into the thick creamy cashew cheese.  But don’t worry if you spill a little. Because that’s how we roll in this house (aka, the pups will eat it up).

Hungry for more? If you just happenstanced on this post, there is so much more vegan food to be had. Go back and check out what Cadry is serving over at Cadry’s Kitchen.

vvp_go_bck

Or hop on forward to Ashley’s place at A Cook in the Making.

vvp_go_forward

Or start from the very beginning (at Vegan Bloggers Unite) and work your way through 100+ delectable vegan beverages, appetizers, salads, side dishes, main dishes and desserts!

vvpLOGO

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of the Virtual Vegan Potluck!

Do you like beets? What’s your favorite way to cook and eat them?

136 thoughts on “Apples with Roasted Beet Tartare, Cashew Cheese and Candied Walnuts

1. Allison (Spontaneous Tomato)

Wow, this is such beautiful appetizer (and your photos are gorgeous!). This looks fancy enough to serve at some kind of banquet or wedding (especially since the cashew cheese keeps the beet juice from running off the apples, like you said).

Thank you Allison! Yeah, the beet juices kinda settled into the cheese which was cool. I can’t take credit for the fancy-ness of it as it was all the beets and their ruby redness :-)

Oh yes, I remember the lovely baked cashew from your salad. I will have to try that soon. I ate the leftover beets and apples from this appetizer in a salad but it was hard to spoon the cashew cheese on because it was so soft and spread-y. I think your lovely baked cheese would have been great.

Thank you so much Gena! I totally wasn’t trying to be elegant but it does look fancy. I think it’s hard for a dish not to look fancy when juicy ruby red beets are involved. They look like rubies!

2. Pingback: Breakfast Nests in a Creamy Vegan Queso - Cadry's Kitchen

3. Shannon Y-I-V

I love that this looks extremely elegant but yet is not too intimidating to put together! & I also enjoy having beet-stained hands. Next time you should try pranking someone by sending them a pic of your hands with no explanation.

Ha ha! I love the idea of sending a person a pic of beet stained hands. I am definitely going to have to do that next time. It would probably be as startling as it is for me when I use the bathroom after eating beets….TMI? ;-P

Thank you Celeste! I hope you get a chance to try these out. They were delicious.

There were so many amazing foods at this month’s VVP. Did you make it through all the dishes? Somer’s cheese ball had me drooling on the screen so hard!

Thanks Sarah! Is the restaurant you’re talking about Portabello? I never got a chance to eat there when I visited during Vida Vegan Con. But I heard great things about it.

Thank you Kylie! Beets in a salad are awesome! That’s usually how I eat them if I eat them at all. I really don’t eat beets very often which is why this was a month long expedition into beets for me.

Haha “there will be beet blood!” My veteran cutting board happens to be red, and that saves me a lot of hassle.

Also, how have I never thought of the combination of beets and granny smith apples?! This appetizer is gorgeous and I can’t wait to try it.

P.S. – Your forward and back links are so much better explained than mine! Going back and updating mine now :)

Thank you! It’s funny. I had Neal proof read my post because of course I waited until the last minute to put it together so I couldn’t trust myself to not make a zillion typos. And he was all— you know, I don’t think that Daniel Day Lewis actually says ‘there will be blood’ in the movie. He’s such a movie nerd.

And I don’t remember what your back and forward links looked like but I’m sure they were great. I don’t think there is a wrong or right way to do it as long as you linked up correctly :-)

I just liked how you mentioned the name of the blogger and blog and wanted to do the same :) Previously it just said “click here to see the next blog” or something impersonal like that.

5. Pingback: Virtual Vegan Potluck 4.0 November 2013 |

I know right! Although if it were real, people might hate me because I definitely would have eaten like most of your cheese ball. In fact, I might have just wrapped it in a napkin and run off with it :-)

That’s totally what it reminds me of. Though I’ve never actually had a waldorf salad. But I’ve seen lots of pictures of them. Hmmm, now I kinda want a waldorf salad.

Thanks so much Bobbie! I really don’t eat a lot of beets either. I actually don’t like to eat a dish with only just beets in it or predominantly beets. But all the other components of this really come together well.

Thank you Keely! Ok, let’s see. It was probably between 45 minutes to an hour between when I dipped them in lemon water and then photographed them. They held up well in that time. But I ate them right after I finished taking photos so I don’t know how they would stand up beyond an hour.

What you could do is experiment with an apple before actually making them for the get together. Next time you have a green apple, just take one slice and dip it in the lemon/water and then let it sit and see how long it holds up.

And definitely do not drizzle the dressing over before you get there. I would do that at the person’s house.

I hope you get a chance to make them. They are a really interesting and yummy combination of flavors.

6. Brittany

Absolutely STUNNING photos and presentation. This looks so decadently delicious. I just love that you were able to get out of your “beet box” and try making the non canned version. SO much better! I would eat so many of these tasty bites! Great minds think alike combining apples and beets! ;)

Awww, thanks Brittany! You are so right, fresh is sooo much better than canned. The canned ones always had that tin-y taste. I always assumed that is what beets tasted like. That they just had this weird tin taste.

Great minds indeed!

7. Hannah (BitterSweet)

What a perfectly holiday-appropriate sweet and savory little bite! Even the colors are stunning. I’ll turn my family into beet lovers yet, and I think that this appetizer will be a big helping hand in that battle.

8. VegCharlotte

“Beet Blood!” I love it! Ok, when I started reading through the potluck I thought there was no recipe that could entice me to cook with beets, but yours is the second one I’m marking to try! Looks amazing.

Thank you! Yeah, I was totally fascinated with all the amazing and creative things people did with beets. I mean, beets in desserts! Get out of town. Everybody did such a great job.

Thank you! LOL @ “manageable way to eat salad”. I totally agree! I love my salads but sometimes maneuvering around a salad plate with all the different size veggies can actually be a pain in the butt.

Thank you Ally! Yay for beet-stained hands. Shannon from Y-I-V suggested taking a pic of beet stained hands and sending it to someone with no explanation as a joke. I think I may have to do that next time!

Aww, thanks so much! It took me a couple of times of just making beets to get a feel for them but I really like the method of roasting them in foil. Although I saw many dishes at the VVP that used them raw which I’m totally intrigued by.

So gorgeous, Ketty! I love all of the contrasting color. I’m not a beet fan at all. They taste like dirt to me, and not in a good way. But I could totally go for all of the other elements of the dish! Fantastic pictures as always!

Thank you so much Cadry! Ha ha! I get your aversion to beets. I actually don’t like to eat a dish that is like ONLY beets. There has to be something there to complement it.

After taking pictures, I did just dip some apples in the cashew cheese and then into the candied walnuts. That was yummy too and probably more up your alley!

10. Pingback: Weekend Reading, 11.17.13

Thank you Rebecca! Everything just tasted wonderful together and the fact that it is healthy was a total accident. But just goes to show that healthy food can taste awesome!

Thank you Andrea! The color combination was a complete accident but it is really festive. I think it’s all because of those ruby-red beets.

They were a great snack like you said. I totally downed the ones that I photographed.

11. veganmiam.com

Simply elegant, simple and perfect, actually they are appropriate for amuse-bouche. I would eat all of these beautiful beet salad bites for an appetizer! Love cashew cheese, I’ve also been experimenting with cracked black pepper cashew cheese! What a lovely lighter alternative to all the comfort foods you begin to see in the fall season. Happy Virtual Vegan Potluck, Ketty!

12. Pingback: Weekend Reading, 11.17.13 « buttertown.com

I think you get the prize for most beautiful appetizer. And thanks for providing me with an image that might make preparing beets easier — Daniel Day Lewis in the kitchen helping me. Anything for Mr. Day-Lewis.

Thank you Andrea! The beauty of this appetizer was not planned by me at all. I think the beets are the star of this. It’s hard not to look gorgeous with that ruby red color.

I’m glad I could help you with preparing beets. Neal pointed out to me that Daniel Day Lewis doesn’t actually say “there will be blood” in the movie “There will be blood”…but I was like, c’mon…it would be cool if he did. :-)

Thanks! I am a big fan of finger food as well. I think because I am always doing something while I eat. So it’s nice to have one hand free. Plus, less silverware to wash!

Thank you Cobi! Beets are not for everyone for sure. I don’t eat beets all that often myself and usually it is just in a salad. I find that I like to eat beets mixed with other stuff and not just on its own.

Thank you so much! The ruby red beets are the real show stoppers here! It is super delicious with all the different flavors and contrasting textures. I hope you’ll try it out!

14. Pingback: VVP Favourites | Lizzie Fit