A Picture an Hour

My Saturday. A picture (or a few) an hour.

8am-Shut off my alarm on the nightstand. It was hard to get up because I stayed up late reading this photography book. (I went back to sleep and actually got up at 8:30am).picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2464-1

9am-Stayed in bed to read.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-1-2

10am-Had coffee and an apple and caught up on internets stuff.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2478-3

11am-Made a very late breakfast with Neal.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2482-4 picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2486-5 picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2497-6

12pm-French toast (using the Vegg) with a strawberry sauce.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2522-7

1pm-Read more. A different book. I am a multi-book reader.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2-8

2pm-Started a hike at Sweetwater Creek State Park.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2571-9

3pm-More hiking.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2608-10picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2619-11

4pm-Traveled back down the trail. The dogs were pooped after climbing rocks and wading in the creek.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2622-12

5pm-Headed home.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2627-13

6pm-Made stuff and snacked on stuff. I made a batch of coconut bacon (from Veggietorials), roasted chickpeas and cashew cheese for the week.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2629-14

7pm-Coconut bacon finished baking. This was my first time making it. I think my coconut flakes were thicker than Cobi’s on Veggietorials, but they came out DEE-licious either way! They were slightly crispy in some places and chewier in others (much like real bacon). I will definitely make these again.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2634-15

8pm-A little relaxing and reading after a shower.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2636-16

9pm-Neal prepared our late dinner of sushi rolls. He made a variety of rolls with cucumber, avocado, coconut bacon, shiitake mushroom, carrots and tofu.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2641-17

10pm-Watched the end of a silly “Ghost Adventures” show before watching “48 hours”.

picture-an-hour-luminous-vegans-2649-18

This picture an hour post was inspired by a recent post by Sayward at Bonzai Aphrodite. The goal was to photograph life as it happened rather than make life happen in order to photograph it.

I had an alarm set on my phone to go off every hour and when it went off, I snapped a pic (or a few) of whatever I was looking at at that moment. I had to estimate the hours during the hike based on when we left the car and got back though because I did not have my phone with me. I really enjoy documenting the world in pictures and I’m trying to improve my photography of things other than food, so I might revisit this picture an hour project again.

How was your Saturday?

42 thoughts on “A Picture an Hour

It’s definitely a fun exercise. I’d love to see a day in Alaska! I was a little worried about how simple my day was. I mean, when the alarm went off and I was just reading a book I was like—bor-ring, who’s gonna wanna see this? But it’s fun to look back and reflect on how I spent the day.

It was definitely fun to do as well! I googled “picture/photo a day” and it’s actually a pretty common thing to do. The pups are incredibly photogenic, it’s kinda ridiculous! :-)

What a fun post! It was so interesting to read about and ‘see’ what you did all day. I like the idea of photographing what you do rather than setting up photo shoots.

It’s always fun to peek into someone else’s day. It was a lot of fun to do as well! I have a lot of trouble with more candid (non food) shots, so I really liked this as an exercise to improve that area.

Awesome! I was a little worried about sharing this because my day seemed so simple. It’s a fun exercise though and highly recommend it even if not posting it to a blog.

2. Kylie - FotV

I love this project! I may have to do one myself! Your coconut bacon looks amazing, I may have to try that as well :) I happen to love all those silly ghost shows on especially Ghost Hunters, but I don’t have cable anymore so I never get to see them.

Yesss! Please do one! I was hesitant to share this because my day was so simple but it was such a fun exercise/project.

Cobi’s coconut bacon was da bomb! I am fairly certain I didn’t use the right kind of coconut flakes as they were kinda thick and slightly sweet but that’s all I had but it really was freakin’ delicious.

I am glad that I’m not the only one who watches those shows. I make fun of them with Neal but I secretly enjoy them. ;-p

Oh wow! I would love to see the Imaginary Worlds exhibit. Do you know how much longer it is going on for? That sounds like such fun and the weather in Atlanta has been perfect for that kind of thing.

3. Jessica

Love it – looks like a perfect day to me, full of hiking and reading and cooking and eating! Sweetwater Creek is a favorite of ours as well. And i’m also a multi-book reader.

It was! We don’t normally hike every weekend but the weather was just so gorgeous that we went on TWO hikes over the weekend. We just discovered Sweetwater Creek and I can see why it is a favorite of yours. It was such a perfect trail.

I’m glad to hear that you’re a multi-book reader! I try to limit it to just two but there’s so much good stuff I wanna read and not enough time. I need to learn how to speed read :-)

I love this post idea! Like really really a lot. I may be inspired to do my own. Unfortunately it will never include that much reading :(. It will probably include silly TV and animals though!

This Saturday we spent all day at a Quinceañera. It was amazing! Like a Mexican Princess Ball.

Yay! You should totally do one at House Vegan. I love silly TV and animals :-) Plus, it’s always fun to peek into someone else’s day.

The Mexican Princess Ball sounds magical!

Thanks Seth! I agree that photography is both fun and challenging. I am a very technical/scienc-y person, so I struggle with the more artistic side of candid compositions and street photos.

Definitely try it! I would love to peek into a day at Typical House Cat :-)

Sayward has been running her blog for quite some time, yet I just stumbled onto it this year. It’s a good read being both inspirational and informative.

Isn’t that such a fun, silly show? I remember this one episode, the main guy was stomping up and down on this psyche ward bed shouting …”am I standing on your bed???”. lol. It’s like he really tries to agitate the heck out of spirits if they are there.

5. readysetveg

What a great post. I’ve done “day in the life” photo projects before, but I like the way you did this–setting an alarm and then taking a photo. Forces you to avoid “setting up” shots, makes it more genuine. I’m going to try this one of these days. :)

6. rika@veganmiam

Thank you for sharing your Saturday events! I enjoy reading about your hourly moments, very laid back and calming, I love that! I love sleeping in bed, reading my Kindle! These French Toast look yummy with the strawberry sauce! Love your greyhounds – what a beauty…looking over the waters. They touched my hearts when I met the injured and rescued greyhounds from Spain…

Didn’t do much that Saturday because it rained all day. Stayed in, met a baby pigeon, made a lot of lentils and tostones.

7. Maggie Muggins

Ohhh, I love this idea. I’ve been really wanting to improve my photography outside of taking controlled food shots, and this looks like a fun way to do that. Although my Sunday would have been much more boring, haha. I really want to go hiking now, it looks so warm where you are!

You should totally do this! I would love to see a post like this on your blog. I know what you mean about the controlled food shots. I try to take candid pictures and get frustrated because the people keep moving! lol.

It was pretty warm and nice last weekend in Atlanta. This week the highs are in the mid 60s (F).

8. Pingback: Creamy Polenta with Garlicky Red Chard | The Sweet Life