Easy Banana Pudding Cups

banana-pudding-cups

I grew up eating traditional Thai food. But there were several American (mostly Southern) dishes that we would eat on occasion. This was probably due to my pa. He didn’t cook a lot, but there were a handful of American dishes that were his jam.

One of these dishes was sweet banana pudding with Nabisco vanilla wafers. I can’t actually remember if he made this or if he was just a champion at eating it. Either way, this banana pudding dessert was something we both really enjoyed.banana-pudding-cups-8220-1

I’ve made it before using store-bought vegan vanilla pudding packs. This time I wanted to go all Martha Stewart on the pudding and make it from scratch. A couple of recipes from An Unrefined Vegan and The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado got me thinkin’— oh yeah, I forgot cashews can be used for more than just cheese! So the banana-y creaminess of this pudding is amped up with raw cashews.

Layered with organic vanilla snaps (storebought—I don’t have time to Martha Stewart everything!) and fresh banana slices, this dessert is a fresher animal-friendly version of the yellow stuff I grew up with. Yet it still remains creamy, decadent and full of banana-vanilla flavor.

banana-pudding-cups

Banana Pudding Cups with Vanilla Cookies

Ingredients

This makes about 1 1/2 cups of the banana pudding. When layered with cookies and bananas, it fills two 8oz cups as shown.

• 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight (at least 6-8 hours) and drained
  • 4 tbs coconut cream
  • vanilla beans scraped from one inch of a vanilla pod
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 3 ripe bananas  (if you don’t want your dessert turnin’ dark due to banana oxidation, lightly soak the bananas in a little lemon juice mixed with water before blending or assembling)
  • 6-8 vanilla wafers (I used these or make your own)

Directions

Blend the cashews, coconut cream, vanilla beans, maple syrup and 2 bananas in a high-speed blender or food processor until silky smooth. Set aside. Slice the remaining banana. Now, assemble. You can do the layers however you wish. I was pretty random but I think I did cookie, pudding, banana slices…until I reached the top of each cup (about 3 pudding layers). Cover the cups with saran wrap and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours so the cookies soften from the pudding and the pudding firms. Then when it’s ready, crush some more cookies on top and dig in!

banana-pudding-cups

What dessert from your childhood do you still love to eat?

41 thoughts on “Easy Banana Pudding Cups

Thanks for the pudding inspiration! We always seem to have a can of coconut cream in the house nowadays, which is why I use it. I like it for stuff like this because it adds just a touch more creaminess than just coconut milk. There’s also probably a bit more coconut fat in it too which is probably why I like it so much :-P

The only dessert item I can remember is the bittersweet chocolate frosting my mom used to put on every birthday cake. It was the only chocolate thing I ate, and it was so good! I’ve tried to duplicate it but I sure wish I had the original recipe.

See this is genius. I grew up eating banana pudding as well and have had a hell of a time veganizing it. I can never get my pudding to have the right consistency no matter what I do. Cashews and coconut seems perfect. Yum!

3. mihl

What a great dessert recipe! One of my favourite and very simple childhodd desserts is apple sauce with non-whipped whipped cream. My grandmother used to make that for us: Every time I buy apple sauce I make sure to buy some vegan cream as well, so I can eat this and think of my grandmother.

4. Jen (whollyvegan)

This looks delish! It’s my kind of dessert for sure. :-) My favorite childhood dessert is my mom’s bibingka malagkit…it’s sweet rice cooked with coconut milk, topped with a caramel-like brown sugar and coconut cream topping. Yum!

Awesome, thanks!! Oh my goodness, your childhood dessert sounds amazing! Have you posted this on your blog? Did I miss it?? I love sweet coconut rice with anything and that caramel sauce with coconut cream sounds dreamy.

5. Kylie - FotV

This looks so good! I was never a fan of straight pudding (a consistency thing), so adding the crushed cookies sounds like an amazing idea!

My favorite dessert as a kid was strawberry shortcake…I still need to find a good vegan version of that!

Thank you! Oooh, strawberry shortcake. Now that would be a great one to veganize. I think I’ve had it before but it was just ok. I think I used storebought whip cream and since it wasn’t cheap, went skimpy with it. And going skimpy with whipped cream on a dessert like that isn’t ideal.

6. Maggie Muggins

Damn that looks good! Adding bananas sounds sounds like an awesome idea, especially since iI’ve never had banana pudding, craziness I know, but what can ya do?….obviously makes this ;)

7. Cadry

This pudding looks crazy delicious! Banana cream pie is one of my favorite pies, and I imagine this tasting vaguely similar. There are lots of desserts that I loved as a kid that I still love today. Strawberry shortcake comes to mind, and I’m all over cream filled doughnuts when I can find vegan ones (which sadly isn’t often).

Ooh, banana cream pie sounds like a fabulous idea. This would be close…just needs some whipped cream and a pie crust! And yes and yes to strawberry shortcakes and cream filled doughnuts. I don’t think I’ve had a vegan cream filled doughnut ever! And I probably won’t unless I find one that is vegan. I ain’t makin’ it because dough.:-P But strawberry shortcakes would be a fun one to veganize.

1. Cadry's Kitchen (@Cadryskitchen)

They had vegan cream filled doughnuts at VooDoo Doughnuts in Portland! It wasn’t the whipped cream variety of filling which is my favorite, but was instead the Boston cream type. But still, I’m not complaining! I also had vegan Boston cream filled doughnuts at Ronald’s Doughnuts in Vegas. So if you’re ever there, you’ll have to check them out!

I made strawberry shortcake last year using the recipe from Spork Fed. It’s wonderful. If you’re ever having a hankering, I totally recommend it.

8. Richa

the pudding looks amazing! we had completely different desserts while growing up.. all somewhat cheese based and i am still trying to figure out a way to make those:)

9. Becky

These are gorgeous! I was never that into banana pudding, because artificial banana flavor never did it for me, but making it fro actual bananas sounds so good! Lately I’ve been really into making ice cream sundaes at home, because I have sprinkles and cherries left from a baby shower where we had an ice cream float bar and because Dave got us a pint of vanilla Soul Veg ice cream.

Thanks Becky! I secretly do like artificial banana flavor…sometimes. But this dessert is definitely a nice fresh banana taste. Neal would love to live at your house right now because he loves vegan ice cream and would love to have sprinkles and such on it :-) Do you like the Soul Veg ice cream? I saw it at Whole Foods and was curious about it, but I’m pretty persnickety about my ice creams. I only really like Larry and Luna’s coconut ice cream and Jared’s Revolution Gelatos.

Thick and creamy are the magical words to my ears! I don’t mind the bean taste because I think I’m so used to it now that I just don’t taste it anymore. The same goes with nuts. Neal mentioned being able to taste “cashews” in creams and stuff, but I never do. *shrugs*

10. CupcakeKitteh

These look so lovely! Pudding like this is not traditional here but during mofo I made a banana pudding pie with a vanilla wafer crust and it was SO good. I’m going to try your version

11. veganmiam.com

I’m glad you grew up eating traditional Thai food – I hope we can share some spicy Thai dishes together one day! I’ll be posting my vegan eats from the Phuket Vegetarian Festival this week, I hope you might be able to help identify some traditional Thai cuisine when I post these (I don’t remember their names, they were taken nearly a year ago). These Banana Pudding cups look adorable – look at this luscious, creamy, bananay (not a word, I know!) filling!

One of my favorite childhood desserts is the Taro & Tapioca Pearls in Coconut Milk!

Yes definitely! Though I usually take down the spice level from the traditional Thai taste, because I’m a wuss! :-) My mom eats her food so spicy that she cries and snot drips out her nose…lovely image there right? I look forward to seeing your eats from the festival. I don’t know how good I am at identifying dishes because my mom never taught me about the foods. She just made it and we ate it. I suppose I should just visit my mom one day and have her teach me how to make everything! :-)

And I hereby declare that bananay is now a word.:-)

Your childhood dessert sounds so good! Is it similar to the dish that RG made at ASTIG vegan with the tapioca dumplings? My mom used to make something similar. Delicious!