My Favorite Cruelty Free Vanilla Perfumes

“Something smells like a cherry pop tart.”

This has actually been said around about me before. I was wearing a vanilla perfume oil at the time. I didn’t own up to my foody smelling self. And I’m still not sure if this remark was said in disgust or with pleasant surprise. But I was secretly pleased. You see, I’ve always had an affinity for smelling like a cherry pop tart…ok, maybe not a pop tart. But something sweet. Something that evokes comfort, snuggling and cozy sweaters and hoodies. Something vanilla.

cruelty free vanilla perfumes

Lush’s 25:43

I have a 0.3 oz atomizer spray of this stuff. From the website, it’s described as a citrusy perfume with notes of tonka, lime, lemongrass, vanilla, ylang-ylang and listsea (?). It’s all lemongrass-vanilla to me. It makes me think of slightly spiced lemon cookies. 25:43 is supposedly how long it took the creator took to make this yummy scent.

Pacifica Island Vanilla

I have this in both the 1oz spray and the 8oz body lotion. It’s described as a blend of Tahitian vanilla absolute with honey-jasmine notes, a touch of fruitiness, and a base of tea. This is a vanilla with a lighter, airy-ier feel about it. To me, it’s like a creamy vanilla tea with the teensiest hint of floral. While I tend to wear vanilla mostly in cooler weather, I wear this year round.

Lush’s Vanillary (solid version)

I’ve had this ever since Lush introduced the solid version in little metal tins. I like this tube version because I can just push up a little and swipe it directly where I want it. Though it’s a tad awkward to have to push it back down with my fingers to get the lid on. Since it’s a soft wax, it will melt if left in the heat. This is a total foody scent and makes me think of a rich sweet vanilla toffee or decadent vanilla custard. I usually wear this at night before bed. It makes me feel like I’m sleeping in a sea of vanilla cupcakes.

Lavanila Pure Vanilla Roller Ball

This is the most simple of the bunch. It has notes of Madagascar vanilla, freesia and heliotrope (florals). To me it is just a nice, clean vanilla bean scent. It’s not a desserty vanilla and it’s not a perfume-y vanilla (none of these are perfume-y in the traditional sense to me). It’s just a lovely vanilla. Pure and simple.

What I love about all of these vanilla perfumes is that they are not in yo face vanilla. They are subtle and more natural feeling than highly synthetic perfumes which make my nose itch and give me a headache. They fade with time on me but all of them linger nicely, close to the skin. Which is good because I don’t want people to smell me when I walk in a room because I wear scents mostly for myself and not other people.

Do you wear fragrance? What are your favorite cruelty-free fragrances?

31 thoughts on “My Favorite Cruelty Free Vanilla Perfumes

1. cookeasyvegan

I usually shy away from fragrances because I’m sensitive to perfumes and get headaches — I even had a bad reaction to the hair products my new stylist used. But your descriptions are enticing, and I love the scent of vanilla. I might be tempted to try one of the Lush varieties.

I get headaches from “regular” perfumes when I am around those that wear them. The great thing about most of these are that I can control how much I want on me and where I want them. I tend to use a light hand with scents. I never want to offend anyone with sensitivities.

1. cameraphonevegan

i’m another that can’t tolerate much in the fragrance department due to allergies/nausea/preference, but i remember doing the whole dabs of vanilla extract thing in high school. i wonder if i should start doing that again? ;) i’d be worried about trying much else with extra ingredients.

I tend to use light hand no matter what fragrance I wear. My main concern is offending others. I’ve heard of people dabbing vanilla extract but I’ve never tried it. I may have to give this a go…I can imagine that it would be very cookie-like!

Pacifica is great! There are a couple of fruity scents from their line that I enjoy and the Hawaiian Ruby Guava is one of them. I haven’t sniffed any of Stella McCartney’s stuff though I’ve heard great things about it.

2. Rambling Vegans

I adore vanilla as both a fragrance and flavor. These all sound really nice! My workplace is a scent free zone, so I usually purchase unscented toiletries. However, I do enjoy certain lotions at home, vanilla being one of them. I’ll have to look for the Pacifica brand.

I use a light hand with most of these because I’m always worried about offending someone. I used to work with someone that was extremely sensitive to fragrance.

The Pacifica line is really great because they have a huge line of scents. I own some others by them that are more fruity.

3. Katie

I love Lush’s solid perfume in the Karma scent. It’s so easy to use and carry around and I like that it’s easy to use just a little so it’s not too overpowering. I use their Karma Komba shampoo bar and love it.

4. An Unrefined Vegan

Give me vanilla and cherry any time! So much better than most perfumes, that as I get (ahem) older, really bother me. I no longer wear perfume, but I used to love a cream fragrance called Hay (yes, it smelled like fresh mown grass) that came in a cute little flip top thingy. Lavender is also wonderful.

I find that when I’m around others that wear more “conventional” fragrances, I get a headache too. I never used to be like that but I do think it’s a getting older thing :-) The Hay fragrance sounds interesting.

I’m a fragrance fiend! I love fresh, floral and homey scents. Favorite notes include jasmine, rose, powder and honey (the real thing is a gross no-no obviously, but the perfume scent tends to just be like a milky brown sugar. very homey!) My summer scent has been Le Petit 02 by Tokyo Milk, but I’m slowly transitioning to Imogen Rose by Lush for the Fall. It has a very warm rose scent. Warm florals are kind of unique so I really love it. I wish they would bottle the Ro’s Argan scent.

I love this post! It makes me feel better to see that other people keep a ton of fragrance options on hand as well.

Oooh, I’ve been curious about the Tokyo Milk collection. I sniffed something from them at Sephora and really liked it but I couldn’t find any definitive information about their vegan stat. They are a-ok?

And girl, I have even more fragrances! :-) I just wanted to focus on the vanilla ones for this post. I have some more fruity ones from Pacifica along with more Lavanila variations. I’ll have to check out the Imogen Rose from Lush.

Not only do they not test on animals, but they make sure that any parties they work with don’t test on animals either. Margot Elena is strict on this policy, thank God!

6. Kylie - FotV

I love wearing scents but haven’t much since going vegan, only because I haven’t taken the time to find out what is or isn’t. I would love to find a cruelty-free scent that is similar to Victoria’s Secret Amber Romance – I LOVE that smell and can pinpoint the scent on people near me if they’re wearing it. It’s a very warm, wintery smell and it makes me happy.

Yeah, I totally get a headache when I’m around others that wear more “conventional” scents. But with most of these I can control how much I put on and where. They also seem to have less synthetic ingredients which also helps keep it non-headache inducing for me.

7. Crystal

I wear Lavanila’s Vanilla Coconut perfume and get compliments on how good it smells EVERY DAY. I like to pair it with vegan deodorant from Ayelet.etsy.com (she made me a special scent that mixes her “pink cupcake” and “pumpkin spice” scents, it’s so good.

I also have the Lavanila vanilla coconut. Though it’s not one I reach for often, I do enjoy it. Pink cupcake and pumpkin spice?? Those sound amazing. I’m afraid that if I wore those, I’d be sniffing my pits all day long like a freak just to get lovely whiffs :-P

8. Kate

I enjoy using essential oils as perfumes, but I also use Living Libations fragrances. They are essential oils mixed with organic grape alcohol and smell divine! I think listsea maybe a misspelling of litsea for litsea cubeba? It has a very sweet and alluring aroma.

Hi Kate! Yes, I think it should be litsea for litsea cubeba oil. I’ve never heard of it before. I’ll have to check out the Living Libation fragrances because I like wearing essential oils as well. Sometimes I dab lavender EO on me or my pillow at night to help with the zzz’s, though as I get older I don’t need that much help anymore :-P

Yes, a wear and sniff test is essential for me too! Fragrance is such a personal thing. Everybody’s body chemistry may react differently with the perfume causing the same fragrance to smell completely different on people.

9. Marie

I’m a huge vanilla perfume fan too! I have the Lavanilla, and the Pacifica, but I’ll have to check out the Lush one. The Ecco Bella vanilla is nice, but I’d prefer it to be a little stronger. The Mejica (vanilla blend) scent from A Perfume Organic is my new favorite for the fall.

Yay for smelling like vanilla cookies! :-) I’ve always been very curious about the Ecco Bella vanilla. Is it desserty, floral or just straight vanilla? The description sounds dreamy but I would love to sniff it in person and I have never found a “live” bottle of it. And I’m totes gonna google this Mejica scent you speak of right now…

I would like anything that made me feel like I’m sleeping in a sea of vanilla cupcakes! I don’t wear any scents, but I like the idea of wearing something very light that’s just for me. I guess the one exception is that occasionally when I can’t sleep I’ll put lavender essential oils on my wrists and neck to relax me. I’m going to look into your vanilla scents!

I tend to use a very light hand whenever I wear any kind of fragrance. I read somewhere that people should only be able to “smell you” when they like reach in to give you a hug and I completely agree. That’s a good idea with the lavender. I should start doing that regularly again. Lavender and vanilla are actually a great combo.