Creamy Mushroom and Eggplant Strudel that Tastes Stroganoffy

We recently discovered that we get the Food Network.  So I turn it on every now and then. As long as they aren’t showing something too overtly non-vegan, I can usually put on my vegan goggles and pretend everything they are making is vegan and cruelty free. It’s like vegan food cosplay.

mushroomstrudel-7873-1

The other day I saw Ina Garten making crab strudels using phyllo dough. It looked easy so I decided to make my own. Instead of crab, I used what we had in the fridge which happened to be shiitake mushrooms and an eggplant.

mushroomstrudel-7762-2

The creamy part of this comes from cashew cheese, though I think the roasted eggplant played a part too. When I began mixing everything together, it straight up looked like raw pork or sausage. I’m still not sure if this was cool because it wasn’t actually pig, or not-cool because it looked like it. *shrugs*.  I continued with it anyways because I was in too deep at that point. Kinda like Walt in season one of Breaking Bad.

mushroomstrudel-7777-3

This recipe makes two strudel logs (about 18-20 pieces) and was easy to make. The phyllo dough was a bit annoying at first until I said *screw it* and stopped caring if the layers weren’t perfectly placed over each other or if some pieces broke. It all worked out in the end.

mushroomstrudel-7797-2

The end result was pretty bad ass. Again, much like Walt from Breaking Bad. It tasted like cream of mushroom soup or stroganoff encased in a buttery flaky crust.  I couldn’t really pinpoint the eggplant in each bite…everything just kinda blended together into a comforting creamy and savory taste in my mouth.

mushroomstrudel-7820-5

Creamy Mushroom and Eggplant Strudel

Ingredients

• 9 oz of shiitake mushrooms with tough stems removed (this is about 2 1/2 to 3 cups)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 of a medium yellow onion
  • small eggplant (peeled, sliced into disks and ends cut off)
  • 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
  • 2 tbs cashew cheese (click here for the recipe)
  • 10 sheets of phyllo dough
  • melted vegan butter to brush on phyllo layers
  • bread crumbs

mushroomstrudel-7835-6

Directions

Throw the mushrooms, garlic, onion and eggplant into a food processor and pulse until it’s crumbly and resembles stuffing.  Stir in the green onions.  Transfer to a lightly oiled or buttered pan and cook on medium high for about 10-12 minutes cooking away most of the liquid. As it cooks, season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the cashew cheese. Let it cool so it can be handled safely. I stuck it in the fridge while I worked with the phyllo.

Lay out a piece of phyllo. Brush with melted vegan butter and then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat this four more times, laying each phyllo sheet on top of the other. It’s okay if they aren’t perfectly lined up or if some crack. Then take the mushroom/eggplant mixture and form a log about an inch or so wide on one end and roll it up. Seal the roll with melted butter. Brush more melted butter on the outside and sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Score the strudel into 1 1/2 inch pieces and bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. The phyllo should be golden and crispy.

mushroomstrudel-7854-4

This would make a great party appetizer or snack. Or just eat it straight up by itself like we did.

63 thoughts on “Creamy Mushroom and Eggplant Strudel that Tastes Stroganoffy

1. zeelemons

oh my! that looks so good I wish I could take the rest of the day off to curl up next to this and watch Breaking Bad- Sunday’s episode left me yelling at the screen!

2. Abby Bean

I am ridiculously intimidated by phyllo dough; I’ve had the same box in my freezer for three years (it moved with me!). This looks like a pretty good reason to give it a try. I think I’ll buy a new box, though!

Thanks! Phyllo definitely can be intimidating. But with this, there are so many layers that if one layer is cracked or whatever, it’s not gonna matter. It all gets broken and flaky anyways after baking :-)

3. Kylie - FotV

Yes. Yes. Yes. This needs to be in my mouth right now (I was about to make an inappropriate joke about Walt from BB there, but I refrained). I love the flavors of stroganoff and everything is better wrapped in dough, so I am all for this recipe!

Awesome! I am sooo behind on Breaking Bad…like a whole season..eep! And you never have to worry about being inappropriate over here. I honestly think part of the reason I like making cashew cheese is just so I can say “I have to go soak my nuts”. ;-)

4. coconutandberries

Looks fantastic- kinda like little sausage roll bites :) I’m a sucker for anything wrapped in pastry…though I might make these with puff rather than filo as I find it so much easier to work with.

Things wrapped in phyllo dough are so stinking pretty! This would be such a great party appetizer. Even if people are hesitant about “vegan food,” who can resist phyllo or puff pastry? Your dish looks amazing. I wish I had a slice right now!

Thank you! It was really easy to make…especially when I let go of my perfectionism with that freakin’ phyllo dough. :-) I’ve come to realize that messing up phyllo dough is actually hard to do.

6. veganmiam.com

Oh my goodness, these shiitake mushroom strudels are remarkable! Haha, it would be awesome if vegan goggles exist! Absolutely perfect party appetizer, or Hors d’oeuvre! I agree with Emma, they remind me of these little vegan sausage rolls (Linda McCartney’s products) I tried. I discovered them in Thailand, but they are widely available in the UK.

Thank you! I’ve never had the vegan sausage rolls but I’ll have to keep an eye out for them. They sound like something I would like. I wonder if they sell them here in the US.

7. Rambling Vegans

These sound heavenly! I’m amazed at how you can throw so many things together to make something amazing.

We just watched the first season of Breaking Bad while camping this weekend. Loved it! Can’t wait to watch more.

Thank you! Trust me, there are plenty um, “experiments” that don’t turn out so well :-). I thought this one might be a fail when I got to the raw pork looking stage but I went with it. I generally do try to make do with whatever we have on hand because I don’t like to run to the store for that one ingredient just to make something.

I am about a season behind on Breaking Bad and need to catch up. It’s definitely an addicting show!

8. Mel

This looks amazing, I adore anything wrapped up in pastry. I loved your references to Breaking Bad, it’s been my favourite show for years and I’m going to be so sad when it ends.

Thank you Hannah! It’s not often that the stuff I throw together actually make a meaningful combination as I usually just try to iron chef it up with whatever we have in the fridge/pantry. I hate going to the store for like that one ingredient just to make a dish.

Sigh. I never miss gluten until I see something like this and know that I can’t use phyllo and make strudel. However, the filling sounds so good that I’m tempted to find another use for it. I’m sure there’s a recipe for GF ravioli in one of my cookbooks — that should be equal in challenge to phyllo, I think. :)

Thanks Andrea! Hmm,I was trying to think of how else you could use the filling (GF) and all I could think of was to stuff it in mushrooms. But that might be mushroom overload :-) Maybe in a bell pepper and then roasted? Well, if you do try it, I’d love to know how you use it.

Thank you so much! Non-perfection is definitely key when working with phyllo dough. There are usually many layers of phyllo dough so a couple of cracks here and there are never gonna show. Plus, it seems to crack and flake anyways after baking :-)

10. Mandee

Yum!! it looks like something my mum used to make and now I have a major nostalgic craving for savoury filling flaky pastry! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Awesome! I love how food can bring up nice memories. I didn’t grow up eating a lot of flaky pastry myself, except for croissants. My mom was big on croissants for some reason. Sheesh, now I want croissants :-)

11. formerfishtacofanatic

I know what you mean about the mixture looking like real port. We had Chikn & Waffles, and a vegan Chikn Salad wrap in Raleigh that both tasted so real, it was a bit jarring for a minute. We had to keep asking to make sure we weren’t eating meat.

Thanks! Yeah, the vegan goggles thing works most of the time. Unless it’s like somebody cooking a whole pig…ugh. Even when they cook chicken wings I can pretend they are the vegan ones I get from the Asian market :-). I think I’ve learned to do it because I get ideas from that stupid channel (can you tell I have a love/hate relationship with them?). And I like the idea that I can do anything they can do, but vegan better!

12. Oil City Vegan

Damnnnnnn!!!!!! Another one of your recipes that looks fucking delicious! I’ll be taking a stab at this for sure! I’ve never used phyllo before. I’ll start with this. Good looking out!

Thanks so much for the kind words! The key with phyllo dough is to just go with the flow. I am a bit of a perfectionist so I want things to be, well, perfect. But with phyllo dough it’s impossible to not have sheets crack or to have them line up properly…but it turns out that doesn’t matter in the end since there are so many layers!

13. Claryn

Holy CRAP I love this. I have to get my hands on some phyllo dough, stat. I envy your vegan-goggles-vision, too: I can handle veganizing all manner of stuff from omni cookbooks, but I really can’t deal with color photos, much less moving pictures!

Awesome, thanks! The vegan googles stuff is handy. The world is too “not vegan” and I have to use them otherwise I would probably go around hating humanity….like all the time :-P

14. Marsha

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it. I would like to Pin it and print it out but I can’t figure out how to do that. I just copied and pasted the text into word, but if there is a better way, let me know! :)

Hi Marsha! Thanks so much for stopping by Luminous Vegans and commenting. I can’t wait for you to try the strudel too. At the moment, copying and pasting the text into word is the best way.

I will look into figuring out the best way to add a print option to the recipes. I’m a one woman show when it comes to this blog, so techie stuff/updates like that take me a little time. Thanks so much for the suggestion! It was something I wasn’t sure I needed to do, but you have definitely pushed me in that direction. Hopefully really soon, I will have a better way for readers to print recipes.