Natural “Artificial” Strawberry Milk

My preferred attire is jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie. I hardly ever wear jewelry.  I let the holes in my ears close up because I couldn’t be bothered with the whole earring thing anymore. I even sometimes “forget” to wear my engagement ring because rings on my fingers get annoying. And I wear only some make up, only some of the time. The most “girly” thing I do on occasion is wear fragrances. And that’s usually because I want to smell vanilla cookies all day. So, what’s up with this?

strawberry_nesquik-7380-2

I blame Logical Harmony for putting up all these rad posts about vegan nail polishes.  The light pink color of the base (Wet n’ Wild) reminded me so much of Nestle Nesquik Strawberry Syrup mixed in a cold glass of milk.  This is something I loved as a kid.

A google search of the ingredients reveals that it is full of artificial coloring, flavoring and doesn’t actually have strawberries in it.  I wanted to create that super sweet artificial strawberry milk flavor without it actually being artificial. Is that weird to crave an artificial flavor?

strawberry_nesquik-7388-1

The following are estimates because it’s pretty simple.  I just kinda dumped stuff in my blender without paying too much attention.

Natural “artificial” Strawberry Milk

• 1- 1.5 cups of almond milk
  • 10-12 cold or frozen strawberries
  • 3-5 dates (more dates = more of that high fructose corn syrup taste, i.e. sweetness!)

I threw everything in my vitamix and blended away. It tasted pretty spot on to me. I could almost taste the HFCS and red 40…. The color was also that nice natural “artificial” pink color I was going for.  Who knew real could taste so fake? And imagine, a strawberry milk with actual strawberries in it! It’s even quite close to the bright pink shade of my manicure. I guess bringing out my “girly” side has its benefits.strawberry_nesquik-7393-4

45 thoughts on “Natural “Artificial” Strawberry Milk

I know. I remember in elementary school, they had the little milk cartons offered at lunch. They had chocolate and plain almost all the time. But sometimes they would have strawberry and those were the best!

Try thrift stores. It’s amazing what people donate. I find bread makers there all the time and I think I may have seen a blender or two before. I always keep my fingers crossed that I will find a waffler maker and/or ice cream machine.

What pretty nails!! I have a nail biting habit that I can’t break, but I always love seeing decorated nails on other people. Maybe if I started painting hearts on my nails, I could stop the habit once and for all.

This strawberry milk sounds so good and easy too! I need to pick up some frozen strawberries and make this happen.

I actually like to keep my nails pretty short, and when it was painted was the longest I had it in a long time. Decorated nails look just as pretty on short nails I think.

2. veganadian

AHHH! I LOVE Strawberry Milk!
    Gah, will I taste the dates?? You know how I feel about them, lol!
    Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!
    Plus, I just painted my nails white! Yay for nail painting! :]
    oxo,
    Holly

Yes lady, I know you loooooove dates!!! J/k. I don’t taste the dates at all but I do use a high speed blender so all the dates just break down completely and just act as a natural sweetener. Oooh, and white nails sound bee-u-tiful!

3. Maggie Muggins

I used to drink the Nesquik stuff all the time, or maybe it was the pink cow, either way, I don’t know why I never thought to make a Real version. I’m totally craving strawberry milk now.
    Oh, and high five on the jeans/tshirt/hoodie combo, it’s my outfit of choice.

Yay for hoodies! My favorite (which I can’t bust out yet because it’s still so freakin’ hot in Atlanta) is my herbivore “love-life” one with the bunny on the back.

4. Mihl

I made something similar with pumpkin seed milk once. We had pwdered nesquick strawberry and I was addicted to that stuff as a kid. Wouldn’t serve it to mine though but I’ll make sure to serve her your version. Your fingernails look rad!

5. Claire (Eat Well. Party Hard.)

Well, damn, I only stopped by to leave one comment, but this post necessitates a second. It’s totally *not* weird to crave an artificial flavor; in fact, that weird fake-strawberry stuff is the single artificial flavor I still crave on the reg. I was able to get a close approximation of it in smoothies using strawberries, peanut butter + stevia, but this looks even easier. And would probably make some amazing, flashback-to-age-8 ice cream?

6. Pingback: Inspired By: Top 5 Vegan MoFo Bloggers Jade and Fern

I’m among the deprived who have never had strawberry milk — but it’s never too late, right? I’m getting some strawberries today. And what about blueberry milk? or peach milk? Your nails almost make me want to run to our vegan store and get nail polish. Maybe for my toes.

I like the way you think. I have some figs in the fridge….fig milk? It’s amazing what pictures of painted nails will invoke in me too. That is how I got started with the whole thing when I saw the oh so pretty nails on Logical Harmony. Hmmm, I might paint my nails today now!

8. Pingback: Friday Round Up: Pretty in Pink…and Red | VeganMoFo

Can’t take the credit for the lovely color as the strawberries did all the work there :-) I love recreating childhood life with food. Both real life memories and stuff that I wished I had as a child.

9. Autumn

Yum! I haven’t had strawberry milk since I actually synthesized “strawberry aldehyde” in one of my college chemistry labs and it totally turned me off. *This* though I will definitely make! Or maybe chocolate strawberry milk. Ohmygod.

10. pjpriest9

lol, I crave artificial grape from time to time. I don’t know if I could replicate that naturally. Although I refer to that flavor as “purple” If this milk taste “pink” then you nailed it : )

Ha ha, I sometimes describe food tastes by color as well. I agree that an artificial grape flavor would be tricky to recreate. But I would say that this milk for sure tasted “pink” :-) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

*does a happy dance* Thanks for giving it a whirl and I am so happy that the 2 year old approves! Artificial banana flavor sounds like it would be good too…like banana Laffy Taffy.

11. organicmom24

omg! i love this. my sons been obsessing with strawberry milk so i tried this and also went for a dairy free version with vanilla almond milk instead (and a few scoops of coconut ice cream for thickness) and its absolutely delicious! thanks for your post :)

So glad that you tried it and the son approves! What a great idea to add coconut ice cream. I will definitely have to try this next time myself!

Thank you for stopping by and commenting!