Fluffy, Creamy…Mashed Cauliflower?

It’s time for us vegans to take veganism to the next level. Making vegan foods mimic non-vegan foods…we got that covered. Now it’s time to make plants taste like other plants. Cauliflower? Boom! It’s now mashed potatoes. Boo-yah!

mashed_cauli-7943-1

I can’t take the credit for the idea.  I heard about it awhile ago through a few of my gazillion social media-app thingies. I just never got around to trying it out until now. The idea is simple. Instead of boiling potatoes and mashing them, boil cauliflower and puree them until they are mashed cauliflower posin’ as potatoes.

Why go to the trouble of trying to mimic a plant-based dish with, well, another plant? That’s a good question. One I don’t have the answer to.  But, it tastes delicious and it’s easy to make. That’s good enough for me (aside from the given that it has be cruelty free).

mashed_cauli-7910-2

The texture of pureed cauliflower is similar to mashed ‘taters though it’s a tad lighter. Like I could eat more bowls of mashed cauliflower without feeling as stuffed as I would if it were mashed potatoes…ya feel?

mashed_cauli-7923-3

To make my mashed cauliflower creamy, I added some cashew cheese and vegan butter. I think this is my new favorite way to eat mashed potatoes. Wait, no, cauliflowers.

Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients

• 1 head of cauliflower pulled or cut into smaller chunks
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs of vegan butter + another 1 tbs
  • 2 tbs of cashew cheese (click here for the recipe)
  • 2 stalks of chopped green onions
  • salt and pepper
  • vegan bacon bits (optional)

mashed_cauli-7970-4

Directions

Boil the cauliflower until tender (about 10 minutes) and then drain. While the cauliflower is boiling, sautee the minced garlic with 1 tbs of vegan butter on medium heat for about 30 seconds to a minute until you smell a garlicky aroma. Next add the drained cauliflower and the garlic butter to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add 1 tbs of vegan butter, 2 tbs of cashew cheese and salt and pepper to taste and blend some more. Move the mashed cauliflower to a bowl and stir in the chopped green onions. Taste. Add salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with green onions and vegan bacon bits.

mashed_cauli-7958-5

Today it’s cauliflowers actin’ all potatoe-y. Next thing we know it’ll be corn going all squashy.

23 thoughts on “Fluffy, Creamy…Mashed Cauliflower?

Back in the ‘olden days’ when I was following a macrobiotic diet, and potatoes were ‘too yin’ for our part of the world, we made ‘mashed potatoes’ with cauliflower and millet. I love mashed potatoes, but I loved the millet-and-cauli version even more. Every time I see another version of cauliflower mashed potatoes I ask myself why I don’t make them anymore. Now that I’ve seen yours, I can’t come up with any more excuses. Tonight!

I am so not knowledgeable when it comes to food stuffs. I just eat what tastes good and is vegan :-) I don’t even know what macrobiotic diets are! …ok, I just googled macrobiotic diet. It doesn’t seem too crazy of a diet, pretty healthy. Maybe a little too healthy for me :-) I love my vegan junk food. Did you see any benefit when you were doing it?

I felt great and had lots of energy. I think the diet suited me, but my family found it too restrictive, and now I do too. Although, I think the current form of the macrobiotic diet is much more inclusive.

Thanks for responding. I don’t think I could ever follow a “diet” because I love to eat too many things, though I may look into what to include from it because more energy is always a good thing!

I used to make mashed millet too! There was this tahini gravy I made a few times to go with it, but I lost the recipe. I haven’t thought about mashed millet in ages so thanks for the reminder! I’ll add cauliflower next time and see what that is all about.

Thanks for visiting and commenting. It was a great first experience with mashed cauliflower. The whole thing reminded me of “sour cream and onion” chips for some reason. I would have loved to sprinkle coconut bacon on top, but those were all we had. The vegan bacon bits gave it a nice textural contrast.

2. veganmiam.com

I remembered making cauliflower mashed potatoes two Thanksgiving ago, it was pretty good and I was hooked on that. Simple ingredients: cauliflower, garlic, some good olive oil and salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. But I miss potatoes way too much so I am going to have mashed potatoes instead ;) Your creamy mashed cauliflower recipe looks fantastic, especially with my favorite herbs, the lovely scallions and of course, the vegan baco bits (did you get them at the Asian markets? They are in Chinese, haha!) This is a pretty gorgeous dish!

I guess I’m behind the times on this mashed cauliflower business :-) I did get the vegan baco bits from the Asian market! I love that place. They have so many hidden vegan gems in there and a whole huge freezer of mostly vegan mock meats and such. Do you have an Asian market near you that you visit? Any recommendation for products I should seek out when I’m there?

3. thisismyeverest

This looks absolutely phenomenal and such an interesting use of cauliflower! I heard an urban legend about cauliflower alfredo that I’ve been meaning to cook up… have you done anything like that?

I’ve not heard of the cauliflower alfredo urban legend, but seeing how easily creamy it got in this dish I have no doubt that it’s possible! You should try it and kick off your new blog with it :-)

4. RG

I love the idea of using cauliflowers instead of potatoes for health reasons. Less carbs! Thanks for posting this. Your pictures are getting more and more lovely btw.

5. Rambling Vegans

My dad’s friend asked me a few months ago what a good replacement for mashed potatoes is. I told him that cauliflower is good, although I never tried it like this. I’ll have to direct him here next time I see him! It sounds really good!

What a coincidence! Out of curiosity, why was he wanting to make the replacement? Less carbs? I really like the mashed cauliflower and am interested to try it with millet as Andrea and others have suggested, but I still love good ol’ mashed taters :-)

6. veganadian

Deliciousssss! I can’t believe I haven’t made “Cashew Cheese” yet… Ah! I’m getting “eh” about the alternatives. I look forward to making this recipe! Thank you for sharing, it looks delicious! :]
    oxo,
    Holly

Yess, you absolutely should make it. I loove it so hard. I am mildly obsessed with cashews! I freak out when my cashew jar runs low at home. I still love the pre made vegan cheeses from the store but it can get pricey real quick given my love for vegan cheese.

7. Jackie

I’ve tried making mashed cauliflower a number of times but I hate it each time. Possibly because I hate the taste and smell of cauliflower. So many people say oh it’s this fantastic alternative and other things like my kids had no idea it was cauliflower. Is that how you think of your recipie that someone would believe they are not eating cauliflower or that you definitely know that’s what you are eating? I want to give mashed cauliflower another shot and your recipie looks like the one to try. What I really want to know is if you didn’t like cauliflower do you think you would like this?

It’s possible that maybe you just don’t like cauliflower. Do you like cauliflower not mashed? I like cauliflower so it is hard for me to say whether or not it is a dish that would “fool” someone. I do think that the vegan butter, cashew cheese and onions make this dish very hearty and comforting which I imagine would help disguise the cauliflower taste. But again, I like cauliflower so I wasn’t testing to see if the cauliflower was present or not. If you do try this, perhaps make sure to drain the cauliflower really well before pureeing. If there is excess liquid stuck in the cauliflower, it could amp up that cauliflower taste. Let me know what you think if you decide to brave the mashed cauliflower again and try this recipe :-)